History of Sarah B. Cochran
Susan Boyd Moore, born April 22, 1857 in Tyrone Township, was the seventh member of a family of four brothers and five sisters. She was probably named after her mother, Sarah B. Herbert. Her family, who was poor, farmed for a living and her home was a humble log cabin.
Sarah B.'s father, James F. Moore, was born January 15, 1811 and was the oldest son of James and Susanna Swink Moore. They migrated to Bullskin Township, Fayette County from the state of Massachusettes in the early 1800's.
On September 25, 1879, Sarah Boyd Moore adn Philip G. Cochran were married by B. T. Thomas, pastor of the M.E. Church of Scottdale, PA. Philip's dad, Jim, developed coal mines and coke yards in the Dawson area, and when the railroad was completed to Connellsville in 1857, he was ready to expand. He was the largest operator of coal and coke mines in the early times. He had 999 ovens which was the largest number in the country.
They first went into housekeeping in the King Family home at Owensdale while their new frame home was being built across the road. The home is now owned by the Suter Family. After living in their new home a short while, they moved to Vanderbilt where their son, James Philip Cochran, was born on September 21, 1880. A few years later, they purchased land in Lower Tyrone Township and built a house known as "The White House" and made their home there for several years. On July 1, 1899, her husband, Philip G., died of pneumonia at the age of fifty years.
That same year, Sarah B. decided to build a new church in Dawson to the memory of her deceased husband. The frame wooden church along Griscom Street was moved to Bryan and reconstructed. On the same location, a new brick church was erected and dedicated on July 16, 1900 to the Glory of God.
The following year, Sarah B.'s only child, James Philip Cochran, died on March 5, 1901 at the age of twenty-one. She, being alone, continued to help those less fortunate. Among her many donated gifts were those to Otterbein College, Washington & Jefferson College, West Virginia University, Fraternity at the University of Pennsylvania and Allegheny Collect where she served as the first woman trustee from 1908 until her death in 1936. Donated gifts included ones to Uniontown Hospital, Home Missionary and Foreign Missionary Society of Methodist Episcopal Church of McKeesport, endowment fund for retired ministers of the Pittsburgh Conference and many more that are unknown.
In 1902, she paid most of the cost of building a new United Brethren Church at Moyer Station in honor of her parents. In 1904, she had a new brick parsonage constructed on Griscom Street in Dawson. In 1906, a new pipe organ was given to the Dawson Methodist Episcopal Church as well as a copy of the Sistine Madonna painting by L. Sturm of Dresden. In 1925, Sarah B. gave to the Sacred Heart Church in Dawson the pipe organ that was formerly used in the old brick church.
As early as 1922, she planned to have erected a new church and at that time, she presented the plans for approval to the congregation. The old brick church was razed and a new stone church of gothic design was built adn dedicated on November 20, 1927 to the Glory of God and in memory of her husband Philip G. and son, James.
Sarah B. Cochran, being a dedicated Christian, continued her generosity toward others until she, being poor in health, died on October 27, 1936.